Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Initials and Introspection

My first project for class turned out a lot better than I expected it to. Getting anything started is the most difficult part in my opinion. I decided to start with color because I felt like I knew the most about that element. Since this assignment was intended to be personal, I decided to choose my favorite color (the minty green color) and build my color palette around that. I wanted the colors to be bright and fun, but not too over the top. I originally didn't want to incorporate so many shapes, but the whole piece just felt so boring with just plain colors and centered text. Throughout the process I noticed I was going for a vintage theme, which is relevant to my taste in design among many other things that I like.
At first I wanted to do something cute and clever with words that describe me, but I couldn't find the words that I wanted that described me. I naturally make lists and constantly write up tiny bios for various social medias, so I went with the mini biography approach. I wrote in the tone of how I would describe myself if some random person came up to me. Also, I wanted the written part to be the main attraction which is why it's dead center. My initials are more of an accessory. 
I wanted to keep my font choices simple. Unpopular opinion, I'm a huge fan of script type. However, when used incorrectly it can be difficult to read and look obnoxious. I chose the typewriter-esque font for my text because it represented the writer aspect of my life. 
The critique also went better than I expected. Here are a couple things that I remember and that stuck out to me:
- It looks like an invitation to a baby shower.(died of laughter on the inside because it really does.)
- My striped background is uneven, but it's a good thing! (This was a happy accident. I am an imperfect person in general anyways.)
- The dotted border makes it like it was sewn on/represents my interest of fashion well (another happy accident. I wish I thought of this on purpose.)
-Elegant, sweet, and well-crafted (Awe jeez you guys are far too kind.)

Overall, I'm very pleased with how this turned out. I almost like it so much that I want to incorporate it into my fashion blog's about me section (shameless self promotion time, check out my fashion blog! Deliciously Dressed) Or stick it on a business card. Keyword here is almost. Hopefully my next assignment will go just as well as this one did!

2 comments:

  1. Loved your project, Celina! Awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how am I just seeing this comment for the first time?! lol and thanks a ton, I've loved all of your projects so far this semester :)

    ReplyDelete