Thursday, May 9, 2013

It's Business (card) Time

What time is it? No, it's not adventure time. Not right now at least. It is almost summer time though! And summer time doesn't ALWAYS have to be lazy time. It can be business time too. Wedding crashing is soooo 2005. Go corporate crashing instead. Before security kicks you out just toss some business cards up in the air and tell them you're willing to work as an intern for a few college credits. Networking is a battle field.
 
Looking for summer lovin'? Don't just awkwardly take their phone and put your number in with some irrelevant emojis. Hand them your business card because you don't have time to put your number in their phone because all the time is business time for you. As some sassy lady meme I saw on the internet once said "Ain't nobody got time for that." 

(Tip: I suggest having a spare set of ones for the fellas and ladies you don't want to ever hear from again with false info. You look classy and aloof and if you unfortunately do run into them again, you can just be all "oh no I must've given you my OLD business card" and then you scurry away after you weasel yourself out of that situation.)

So let's get down to business. Not to defeat the huns. Mulan took care of that for us, thanks girl. But let's get down to business about what business card design I should choose. This is a very delicate situation. We've evolved past American Psycho days where there were only a million versions of white, 2 fonts, and watermarks. These little things can be as personable as you choose. However, information included must be minimal yet relevant.

This one site I've been checking is MOO. You can choose to either use one of their pre-made designs or use one of your own creations. I don't trust myself with such a big responsibility, plus the pre-made designs look absolutely fantastic! They have something that will fit everyone's personality. There's also other choices such as rounded or pointed corners and glossy or matte finish. I'm more of a rounded corner matte finish type of girl. The prices are pretty great too, $20 for a pack of 50 which seems reasonable for people like me who are networking newbies. 


Design: Fabulous Florals
Designers: Not specified

I really love this design because it's bright, colorful, but still minimal. Also it's a very neutral design because it works for any profession. Those who know me or are just pay very close attention to detail will know that I'm a lover of floral print. 

Design: Superior Interiors
Designer: Monika Koziol 

I really love the vintage wallpaper feel of this design. It's very sweet and elegant. I don't know if this is just me being nit-picky but I feel like people would assume I'm trying to plan weddings or redecorate their dining rooms if I handed them these. I mean yes clearly it would say what my profession is, but I don't want to confuse anyone. 

Which I suppose raises another question, do little symbols, pictures, etc. have to be 100% relevant. In some cases yes, but I think this design is on the fence. Perhaps interpretation is up to the individual on this one. For the record I would totally want this as wallpaper in my room, just sayin'. 


Design: Vintage Typewriters 1
Designer: Chris Baron 

I absolutely adore vintage type writers. It also comes in a variety of colors and uses a nice typewriter style font. What I like about this is that it would work for both of the careers I'm trying to pursue: PR and writing. No identity crisis here! I want people to instantly associate me with writing, whether it's professional or creative. 

Please please please give me your opinions because I'll probably just end up buying all three designs! Or if you find anything else send 'em my way.

2 comments:

  1. Celina, for you, based on what I have seen from you in class, I'd say go with the vintage wallpaper-styled ones! They seem to reflect your style well and they're unique – I'd get them myself but need to design my own for obvious reasons. ;) They're all great, though. Can't go wrong with any of them.

    I am a big fan of Moo! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a ton! It's been my first choice for months and I always end up going back to it. My graphic designer friend at Parsons introduced me to MOO awhile ago and I've been obsessed ever since. Can't wait to be a fancy professional with fancy business cards :)

      Delete